Welcome to the Utica Learning Interchange
Students unearth fun at Velocity Jr. camp
Area students are unearthing fun and a love of history and science through a Velocity Jr. summer camp.
Young archaeologists recently spent a week taking part in a "Dino Dig" camp that allowed them to study the history of the animals and take part in mock archeological digs.
Teacher Landon Polley said the students are experiencing "Indiana Jones-type stuff" that is reinforcing their interest in sciences and how it applies to other content areas.
"These younger students are discovering science and saying 'hey, this is fun,' " Polley said. "We can also use what we're learning today in different subjects, like history."
The five through nine year olds take part in all parts of a dig - from learning how to discover the dinosaur bones, how they are cleaned and how they are preserved.
The students are even charting their digs using math grids that break down the different areas of the dig. MORE.
- UCS senior earns perfect ACT score
- Register now for UCS preschool programs
- Utica strong! Conditioning camp powers current and future Chieftains
- Summer program focuses on giving students a successful start
- Camp creates a new generation of award-winning robotics students
- Students create project to help others "Breathe Happy"
- 2015 UCS grad among only 22 to earn merit-based WMU scholarship
- Award-winning UCS students see their work on the big screen
- UCS Means Success - Jennifer Haase
- UCS senior pens national column
- Summer program keeps students focused on learning
- Velocity Jr. camp lets students get into the game
- UCS junior earns national title in medical careers competition
- Velocity Jr. camp promotes technology on the move
- Stevenson students show their "MITE" with state architectural design honors
- 2015 UCS graduate named national champion in Microsoft Excel competition
- UCS Ike senior selected for weeklong nuclear physics program at University of Notre Dame
Workshops Available Through the MISD
A variety of technology and curriculum workshops are available at the MISD. Visit the MISD website to see what's being offered.