|6th Grade Life Science Benchmarks
|[Constructing and Reflecting] [ Life Science] [Physical Science] [Earth Science] [Health]
What do you want students to:
know, do, be like?
How will you know if benchmarks have been achieved?
What possible instructional resources
could be used?
Students should master these:
|Microrganisms, Fungi, & Plants
||Labs & Activities
Units of Practice:
Each UOP, located on the Utica Learning Interchange (ULI), is developed by one of your colleagues, an experienced teacher, and exemplifies an approach to integrating technology into the teaching and learning process. Search the UOPs by Subject and Level or by Keyword.
|III.2.MS.2 Describe the life cycle of a flowering plant.
- Locate the structure where sex cells form in a variety of flowers
- Identify the stages of growth from seed to mature plan
|III.2.MS.3 Describe evidence that plants make and store food.
- Observe chloroplasts in special plant cells
- Determine the location in specialized plant cells where photosynthesis occurs
- Explain that during photosynthesis certain raw materials (carbon dioxide and water) are taken in and chemically combined to form new products (sugar and oxygen)
- Recognize that the suns light energy is converted and stored as chemical energy in food; this food may be used immediately or stored as starch for later use
- Examine various food storage organs (e.g., potatoes, onions, carrots)
Last Revised: Mon, Mar 15, 2004