Science/Strand III/Content Standard 5/Middle School/Benchmark 6
Benchmark Question: How do humans alter the environment?
Focus Question: What positive and negative effects
do humans have on the environment?
The class will brainstorm
and identify non-native organisms that have been introduced to the Great
Lakes since the St. Lawrence Seaway opened. If necessary, students should
be directed to the following:
- sea lamprey
- zebra mussel
newspapers, and the Internet, students will research the following
questions about a non-native species introduced into the Great Lakes:
1. How was the organism introduced?
2. What niche did the organism fill and which
organism(s) was(were) displaced?
3. What are the stages in the organism’s life cycle?
4. What positive effects might this organism have on the
5. What negative effects might this organism have on the
6. How have humans tried to restore the natural balance?
Students will present their
findings in a debate of the positive/negative effects of the introduction
of the (intentional or accidental) non-native species into the Great Lakes.