Explain characteristics and functions of observable body parts in a variety of animals.
Animals can be sorted by their observable body parts. Students will categorize an animal according to its characteristics and how the characteristics work.
* Insulation: fur, feathers, blubber
* Support: exoskeleton (outer), endoskeleton (inner)
* Food-Getting: claws, beaks, teeth
* Protection: quills, horns, claws, eyes
* Movement: legs, wings, fins, webbed feet
* Categorize an animal according to its characteristics and how those characteristics work
* Categorize vertebrates animals with a backbone
* Categorize invertebrates animals without a backbone
Key Concept / MEAP Vocabulary
Real World Context
Vertebrate and invertebrate animals: